Obituaries (Last Names beginning with B)

Back to Obituaries index

SELECT LastName, FirstName, HousesAndDetails, YearFrom, YearTo, DisplayYears, Description, LinkAddress1, LinkDescription1, LinkTitle1, LinkAddress2, LinkDescription2, LinkTitle2, LinkAddress3, LinkDescription3, LinkTitle3, LinkAddress4, LinkDescription4, LinkTitle4, LinkAddress5, LinkDescription5, LinkTitle5, LinkAddress6, LinkDescription6, LinkTitle6, LinkAddress7, LinkDescription7, LinkTitle7, LinkAddress8, LinkDescription8, LinkTitle8, LinkAddress9, LinkDescription9, LinkTitle9, LinkAddress10, LinkDescription10, LinkTitle10, SectionSecondary, Id, WhereAreTheyNow FROM OBInfo Where LastName<>'' and Obituary=1 and SectionPrimary = 'B' order by LastName, FirstName
BALDWIN of BEWDLEY, Earl 1970–1974 (Viscount Corvedale, Horsham Staff)

BALDWIN - Sally (Countess Baldwin of Bewdley), died aged 59 at Sobell House, Oxford, in the early hours of Friday 22nd June, with spirit undimmed after a long and heroic fight against breast cancer. Much loved and sorely missed by Edward [Earl Baldwin of Bewdley, formerly Viscount Corvedale, Horsham Staff 70-74], Ben, James and Mark. Funeral and cremation in Oxford and interment at Wilden will both be private; a celebration concert will take place in the autumn. Donations if desired to the Hon. Treasurer of The Speedwell Trust at 26 Hamilton Road, Oxford OX2 7PZ.

Elected hereditary peer

Link to "Cambridge Catalogue" showing the "Baldwin Papers" book outline and purchase


BARKWAY, Jeremy Henry 1934–1941 (Ma B)

From an email received from Jeremy's widow, Mrs Veronica Barkway July 2006:

He was born in 1924, and yes he would have attended Christ Hospital in the thirties, leaving in the summer of 1941.

He joined the army a year later, he survived landing in France on D day with the 6th Airborne light Tank Squadron at Pegasus Bridge.

After the war he had a long career in retailing.

His retirement was spent in his beloved Lake District in the house he had been brought up in.

I hope this will prove helpful to you, I did not think of e-mailing you at the time of his death. It was nice to see Old Blues remember in such a way. Jeremy talked of his school days often.


BARTON, Sdn Ldr Arthur Edward Mackenzie, DFC (Max) 1933–1941 (Col B)

Born 31 January 1924, died on 11 May 2001 at his home in Aust, Bristol. His wife, Jean, wrote to say: 'He had a good party at the end of January, and was then in and out of hospital. He came home for the last nine weeks. He didn't get into any great pain and just drifted away while I was there.'

Max started his education at CH in Prep A in 1933, moving to Coleridge B in 1934, where I joined him as a new boy. Our academic abilities being similar, we both opted to specialise in Engineering when we entered the Upper Fourth. In one of his letters to me, in later years, Max wrote: 'The classics masters and house masters had little interest in me, but Teddy Edwards, Kirby and Averill, and various art masters did take an interest in me, communicated to me some of their own knowledge and enthusiasm, and by so doing gave me a sound foundation for my own life. I shall always remember them with affection.'

Due to wartime policy at the end of 1940, when we were in the GE, the school was no longer a centre for University of London Matriculation examinations, so, Max and I, who had studied the Matric. syllabus, sat the examinations elsewhere. Pleased with our success, we returned to school as EM (Engineering and Medical) Deputy Grecians, working for the University of London Inter.B.Sc.. Although our age group had not yet matriculated, the Headmaster informed us that we were not suited to higher education, and that we were to leave on our 17th birthdays, before the end of the school year.

Max served with distinction in the RAF during the war, as navigator and pilot, and continued service with the RAF until 1967, when he retired as a Staff Officer, with the rank of Squadron Leader, in Operational Requirements in Whitehall.

With a recommendation from Dr Barnes Wallis (CH 1900-04), he moved to Bristol, where, he worked on the Concorde for ten years, and then moved into the Guided Weapons Division of British Aerospace as manager, project leader, study manager and inventor. He retired in 1989.

As a member of the Royal Aeronautical Society, he was Secretary, and then Chairman, of the Bristol Branch. After serving on the Council of the Society for 12 years, he became Vice President in his last year on the Council.

When he retired, Max gave up his dangerous sport of sailing off shore, which included crossing the Atlantic single handed, and started motor racing. He also pursued his lifelong interests as poet, painter, potter and philosopher. He spent years writing theses on controversial theories in physics, especially his 4 dimensional theory of light transmission.

Max was a gentle man who was loved by all who knew him, and will be greatly missed by his wife, Jean, his daughter and his two sons, as well as his many friends. In Max's words, 'I do not have any ambition to attain great spiritual eminence, or wealth or power, only to try to be true to myself and truthful to others, to achieve the benevolence of loving kindness for its own sake.' - written by Arthur HC Williams Col B 1934-41


Bateson, D M 1942–1948 (Col A)


David Bateson was born in Skipton on 27th February 1931. His parents moved south to Woodford Green before the war where he won an LCC Scholarship to CH in 1942. He loved husbandry and spent his war years raising goats at the Science Farm in order to provide milk for master's wives and whoever else would part with a penny or two. His other love was playing games, especially Rugby Football and after school played for the Old Blues from

1950 to 1955, including the side of 1955 that beat Gloucester. A flamboyant wing with an exceptionally fast turn of pace, his Captain the late Tony Gayfer was quoted as saying 'Bateson on his day was the best wing I can recall in OB colours'. It was his dummy cross kick and subsequent try scored by him that was to secure the win at Kingsholm. Prior to this in

1950 he was commissioned into the RASC where he also played Rugby for the Army. In 1956 he moved to Australia where he joined Caltex running their Advertising and PR Department for NSW. On his return to England in 1962 he again worked in the oil business where he launched the first 'self-service'

petrol station in London. Around this time he realised that his independent spirit would prove a better asset if he became self-employed. This took him into the Antiques business where he established a successful Antique dealership in Kent. In 1982 he and the family moved to Norfolk where he returned to his love of good husbandry by running a smallholding producing what is now referred to as 'organic' produce, ranging from eggs, milk and all meats from rare breed pork to lamb. He soon became a coach for Diss RFC and he also founded Bressingham CC, which under his Captaincy saw successful seasons from 1990 to 1998, and unbeaten tours to Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

He was a Parish Councillor and also a pioneer in the now popular art of Genealogy. Always ahead of modern trends, most notably with organic farming and later Genealogy, but he never really capitalised financially on these activities instead seeing them as simply worthwhile things to do. He is survived by his wife Patricia, his two daughters, his son and four grandchildren.


BELCHER, Ronald Henry 1925–1934 (La B)

Died in Autumn 2002. After leaving CH he obtained BA degrees from both Cambridge (Jesus College) and Oxford (Brasenose); from Cambridge he also acquired a Diploma in Classical Archaeology. He entered the Indian Civil Service in 1939 and served in the Punjab until 1948 when he moved to the Commonwealth Relations Office. In the early Fifties he was seconded to the Foreign Office and joined the British Embassy in Washington; otherwise he remained in the CRO until 1965, rising to be Deputy High Commissioner for the UK in South Africa (1956-59), Assistant Under Secretary of State (1960-61) and Deputy High Commissioner in Delhi (1961-65). He was appointed CMG in 1958. From 1965 to 1975 he was Under-Secretary of the Overseas Development Administration, the forerunner of today's Department of International Development. In 1980 he was one of several Old Blues who contributed to the Scolar Press book The District Officer in India, 1930-1947. His interests included music, archaeology and the theatre. He married, in 1948, Hildegarde Hellyer-Jones, who died in 2000. They had one son. Belcher left a legacy to CH.

Civil servant


BELL, Robert Donald Murray 1926–1935 (Mid A)

Died in November 2001. He went from CH to Clare College, Cambridge, where he took a First in the Natural Sciences Tripos (Physics) in 1938. In the same year he joined the Scottish Office. He served in the Royal Artillery from 1940-45 (1943 saw him at the Military College of Science, Bury). By 1946 he was a Principal in the Scottish Home Department, from 1947-50 he was Private Secretary to the Secretary of State for Scotland and between 1959 and his retirement in 1976 he was an Under-Secretary in the Scottish Departments. Later he seems to have moved from Inveresk, just outside Edinburgh, to a house of that name in Spain.

In 1941 he married Karin Anna Smith, whom he outlived. They had a son and a daughter.


BIRON, Joan 1929–1936 (6's)

Sister Joan Therese's funeral was on July 28th 2011.

Please click here to read the funeral address.


BIRT, The Venerable William Raymond 1921–1929 (Mid A)

Died on 11 March 2002 aged 90. He was Archdeacon of Berkshire 1973-77 and from 1985 had the title Archdeacon Emeritus.

The son of a clergyman, Raymond Birt did not take orders himself until his mid-forties. He taught at Trent College 1929-31, was a sub-editor on The Daily Sketch 1933-34 and then spent five years at Play Rights Publications as an assistant editor. War service followed: as a Major in the 22nd Dragoons (RAC) he was responsible for wireless communications - vital in all armoured regiments - and was mentioned in despatches. In 1946 he returned to publishing as an editor with Winchester Publications, moving in 1949 to Country Life Books. He was co-author of The Queen Elizabeth, the world's greatest ship (1947) and sole author of The Glories of Winchester Cathedral (1948), The Glories of Ely Cathedral (1949) and XXII Dragoons 1760-1945: The Story of a Regiment (1950).

Trained for the priesthood at Ely Theological College, he spent his entire ministry in the diocese of Oxford. After curacies in Caversham and Newbury he was Vicar of St George's, Wash Common, Newbury, 1963-71; for part of that time he was also priest-in-charge of Enborne with Hamstead Marshall. Serving as Rural Dean of Newbury from 1970 until his appointment as Archdeacon, he moved from St George's in 1971 to spend ten years as Rector of West Woodhay. Circa 1980 he was made an Honorary Canon of Christ Church, Oxford. After retiring as Rector he spent another decade as Assistant Rector of the combined parish of West Woodhay with Enborne, Hamstead Marshall, etc. He lived latterly in Kingsclere, south of Newbury. His stated recreation was 'gardens and gardening'.

In 1936 he married Marie Louise Jeaffreson, with whom he had a son and two daughters. She died in 1990 and in 1994 he married Diana Bronwen Warren.


BLAND, Rob 1961–1967 (Mid A)

Died in Holland of cancer, 30th October 2004

Nick Duffell's The Making of Them: The British Attitude to Children and the Boarding School System (Lone Arrow Press, £20) sets out the case of the 'Boarding School Survivors' movement and is edited by Rob Bland (MdA 61-67) whom the author thanks 'for years of friendly discussion of the problems of being English, for running many of the men's groups with me, and for making this book readable.' Bland is quoted occasionally in the text but with no direct comment on his CH experience except that he enjoyed many things about it, including the food!

Writer & translator.


Brennan, Michael 1923–1931 (Mid B)

Contributed by his son Andrew Brennan

Born before the outbreak of World War One, the second son of five children of the Vicar of Shalbourne, James Ward Brennan and Frances Cantrell, he attended Christ's Hospital School in Horsham. As a school boy he was a sprinter and competed at the White City stadium near Shepherd’s Bush. He loved everything about horses and horse racing. While at school he took bets from fellow pupils and even one or two of the masters. He joined the South Staffordshire Regiment in the early 1930s.

He married Margaret ‘Sally’ Butler in 1950 and they had three children. He retired as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1960. After many different offers, he chose the less stressful life of a driving examiner, first in London and later in Gloucestershire. After twenty years he retired and thus started the third phase of his long life. He walked or rather marched daily for nearly twenty years. This took him to the Nijmegen marches in Holland held over four days each July. He completed several marches, the last of which earned him the trophy for the fastest time for someone over 70 years.

• There was a 78 rpm record about him called “Michael Brennan has circles under his eyes!”

• In March 1935 he attended the levée in the presence of Edward VIII, then Prince of Wales.

• He helped advertise The Times newspaper in the 1970s. Huge billboards in tube stations and near motorways read “Michel Brennan reads The Times”

• He left a note: "A useless but enjoyable life. Never won a point to point"

He was a winner in so many ways. He was a distinguished leader of soldiers, a serious man who enjoyed his life, always had a twinkle in his eye and was always, a


Butler, Michael (Unknown)

In the 1970s Michael Butler tried to stop the bureaucratic transposition of the Uffington White Horse, a symbol of Berkshire, into Oxfordshire following local government reorganisation. It was one of his rare failed campaigns

Michael Butler, who has died suddenly aged 81, was a successful public relations director with the consultancy Butler Miller Associates, which organised fundraising campaigns for notable historical projects and charities. A spirited community activist, he devoted much of his spare time to improving his local neighbourhood in Hackney, east London. After his retirement to Bristol, he was a trustee of the Sofa Project, recycling furniture for low-income families.

Mike was born in Froyle, Hampshire, into a farming family. He was brought up in Bath and, after his father's death, in Newbury, west Berkshire. It was an area for which he retained a close affection throughout his life – Mike and I, his step-brother, spent a happy day there exploring the town's ancient buildings in 2010. His attempt in the 1970s to stop the bureaucratic transposition of the Uffington White Horse, an ancient hill-carving that was a Berkshire symbol, into neighbouring Oxfordshire following local government reorganisation, was one of his rare failed campaigns.

Educated on a scholarship at Christ's Hospital, Horsham, West Sussex, he read medieval history at Selwyn College, Cambridge, graduating with a first-class degree. He joined Penguin Books as a researcher, where he worked on the Pevsner Buildings of England series, and then moved into advertising for Mather and Crowther, the agency which subsequently became Ogilvy and Mather, his first client when he and a colleague set up the Butler Miller Associates public relations consultancy.

Mike's interest in history led him to take part in a number of high-profile projects, including fundraising for St Paul's Cathedral and its choir school; organising and promoting the 1988 anniversary of the Glorious Revolution – for which he received a knighthood from the Dutch government; and the 1985 transatlantic voyage of a replica of the 17th-century ship Godspeed which carried the first settlers to Virginia in 1607. The tiny vessel, equipped with modern navigation and communication aids but no engine, had a send-off from London's docklands by the Duke of Edinburgh.

Mike ran fundraising campaigns for charities such as the Campaign for the Protection of Rural England (now the Campaign to Protect Rural England) and the Stackpole Trust, which provides wheelchair-friendly holiday accommodation, the Bristol Arts Project and the Royal Philharmonic Society music awards. Mike managed an appeal for the Cartoon Art Trust in 1990 and when a trustee, the cartoonist Mel Calman, died suddenly in 1994, he took over the lease on its gallery in Bloomsbury for a year to ensure its continuation. With his first wife Jo, whom he had met when they were both students, he set up a gallery next to their house in Kent to display the work of local painters. The couple had four children and Jo died in 1991.

Mike ran the Cleaner London Campaign at the time of the Queen's silver jubilee and later led the Hackney Grime Busters. He became a pioneer guerrilla gardener in the area, organising Sunday morning working parties to transform derelict council flower beds in the Dalston area. As a volunteer he also helped to build an eco-friendly centre for the Homerton Grove adventure playground group.

Mike, a genial, sociable and kindly man, is survived by his second wife, Stella, his children, four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

• Michael Richard Dawson Butler, public relations consultant, born 23 August 1930; died 25 April 2012


BYERS, Cyril Martin 1918–1922 (La B)

Held the rank of Deputy Principal at the Bank of England, died on 18 November 2004. He played rugby for the bank, was a pianist and choral singer, and contributed to the life of Croydon as Treasurer of its Guild of Social Service and part of the Croydon Writers' Circle. With his wife, who predeceased him, he had a son and a daughter. We presume he was a brother of Maurice Walter Byers (LB 16-20) who died in 1983.


Clark, David 1939–1945 (Thornton B)

David Clark was born in North London and entered CH at the outbreak of the Second World War, leaving, as so many did at that time, at the age of 16 just after the war in Europe ended. During the war years, many scholastic compromises had to be made due to a dearth of teachers, especially those of military age. David became an Engineering and Medical Deputy Grecian, a seemingly curious combination. Physics and Chemistry were common to both disciplines but at the times the potential Doctors studied biology, the potential Engineers were taught Maths.

On leaving CH David was apprenticed to Vosper Thorneycroft and subsequently to Worcester Mining. For his compulsory National Service he gained further engineering experience in the Coal Mining Industry where the occupation was deemed the equivalent of service with the Armed Forces. He qualified as a Chartered Engineer and as a Member of the Institute of Electrical Engineers.

In the 1960s David transferred his engineering skills to the printing industry, and the De la Rue group. He was closely involved in the evolution of quality security printing from a labour intensive activity to a highly mechanised process, where his contribution was greatly valued and which developed into a long term career with De la Rue.

Following retirement, David kept his brain active by close study of the financial markets and the Stock Exchange. He was modest in success and mocking of his failures but the overall balance was clearly positive as during this time he became a Donation Governor, subsequently renewing his presentation rights. His first Presentee became Senior Grecian. Together with his wife Janet, who survives him, he was an active member of the Herts, Beds & Bucks Old Blues.

Contributed by his widow Janet